Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Ending Small Farms in the US

... apparently. I haven't read through the entire bill... because it's huge and I'm on Spring Break and I'd probably need Robbie Minto next to me for reference. But here it is.

And here's where I found out about it.

Basically, the idea that the blogger is getting trying to get across (I think) is that, if the bill is passed, then all food grown for sale and consumption will be regulated and tested for "food safety," which asks if it's sprayed with herbicides, if it's grown from genetically-modified seeds etc. (Herbicides and genetically modified seeds are, according to the bill, good things for human consumption.)

I don't believe this is a matter of opinion, though I hope a discussion can ensue. The last week before spring break, we met a girl who was all for genetically modified seeds and we thought she was joking. Hippie elitist sarcasm ensued? You better believe it.

2 comments:

Dordt College Creation Care said...

So it looks like this bill was not proposed out of concern for safety, but rather for market control. Having heavy regulations would cause alot of organic farmers and farmer's markets to go out of business..it would be hard to continue without using Monsanto's products.

I hope it won't pass..I actually doubt it will. Organic is all the rage right now.

Thankfully, my sister will still be able to sell sweet corn at the road because we live in Ontario, where they like to ban herbicides and pesticides...my solution--let's move to Canada.

-Danielle

Anonymous said...

I actually thought the whole time that the girl was being serious about genetically-modified food..

When I have time, hopefully today, I'll read the link.